RECORDING of the presentation.
PDF of the presentation used during the webinar.
The most salient points the presenter made were:
- Maintaining strong social supports on the outside while one is incarcerated
- Having help navigating the system upon release
- The importance of not only getting a job, but KEEPING a job
- Good risk assessments so individuals can be paroled to successfully reintegrate
- Studying and understanding DESISTANCE (More on desistance)
“The presenter for this webinar [was] Kathleen Gnall, an independent criminal justice consultant with extensive experience working with criminal justice professionals, policymakers, community and business leaders, social service providers, and members of faith-based and non-profit organizations to enhance public safety while improving individual outcomes. Ms. Gnall spent 17 years with the Pennsylvania Department of Corrections (PDOC), where she served as executive assistant to the Secretary of Corrections; the Director of Policy, Planning, Research, Evaluation and Grants; and the Deputy Secretary for Specialized Programs and Reentry. She holds an MA degree in government from Lehigh University and a BA in Politics summa cum laude from De Sales University.’