At 2:53 pm today, Chair Aquino of the House Public Safety Committee posted the notice for a hearing on this resolution to explore public private partnerships for “a new system of correctional facilities.”
COMMITTEE ON PUBLIC SAFETY
Rep. Henry Aquino, Chair
Rep. Kaniela Ing, Co-Chair
Thursday, April 24, 2014
SCR 120, SD2 REQUESTING THE GOVERNOR TO EXPLORE A COMPETITIVELY PROCURED PUBLIC-PRIVATE PARTNERSHIP AGREEMENT FOR A NEW SYSTEM OF CORRECTIONAL FACILITIES THAT MAY INCLUDE REENTRY CENTERS, REPORTING CENTERS, TREATMENT CENTERS, PRISONS, JAILS, AND HALFWAY HOMES, TO BE OWNED AND OPERATED BY THE STATE AND ITS COUNTIES.
Two of the largest profiteers of misery, CCA – Corrections Corporation of America and GEO are interested (in fact, they are salivating) to get into Hawai`i. The department has basically mocked the community for opposing this reso and the RFI (Request for Information). They condescendingly say that the community doesn’t understand that this is only to build the facilities, not to operate them. Ahem, who are the naïve in this conversation? These corporate prisons want it all. They want in.
Don’t these guys read the news? CCA is under investigation by the FBI and both CCA and GEO have established REITs (Real Estate Investment Trusts) which allow them to lower taxes. Corporations like CCA and GEO have been gaming the REIT intent and the IRS is investigating the corporations who are REITs. Why would we want to do any business with entities like this? This is truly disturbing.
FIX UP; DON’T BUILD UP!
Here for CAP Testimony
If you would like to send testimony, please go to: www.capitol.hawaii.gov
- Sign in at the top.
- Click on the “Submit Testimony” icon.
- Type the Bill number in the box and click on “Submit.”
- Click on “support” or “oppose”
- Click on “Individual” (unless you are a bonafide Organization)
- Add comments if you wish or attach written testimony from your browser Click on “Next”
- Check small box at the bottom
- Press Submit again and you will get a “Successful” message
- A copy of your testimony will be emailed back to you.