COMMITTEE ON PUBLIC SAFETY, INTERGOVERNMENTAL AND MILITARY AFFAIRS
Senator Will Espero, Chair
Senator Rosalyn H. Baker, Vice Chair
COMMITTEE ON PUBLIC SAFETY
Rep. Henry J.C. Aquino, Chair
Rep. Kaniela Ing, Vice Chair
NOTICE OF INFORMATIONAL BRIEFING
Tuesday, September 30
10 – 12 noon
The purpose of this informational briefing is to update the legislators in regards to domestic violence in Hawaii, Honolulu Police Department response, and ideas for improvement.
- Welcome and Introductions
- Overview of Domestic Violence laws – Domestic Violence Action Center – Loretta Sheehan, esq., Nicole Edwards Masuda, esq.
- Annual Statistics and data- DVAC – Community Outreach & Education – Cindy Spencer, Vice President
- Police Response to DV calls – Honolulu Police Department – Chief Louis Kealoha, Police Chief
- Response to DV calls if alleged abuser is HPD – Honolulu Police Department
- Status report of Officer Cachola video – Honolulu Police Department
- The role of the Police Commission – Police Commission – Gregory Gilmartin, Executive Officer
- Best Practices of Law Enforcement – Hawaii State Coalition Against Domestic Violence, Marci Lopes, Executive Director
- Experiences of victims – Hawaii State Commission on the Status of Women, Cathy Betts, Executive Director
- Independent Review Board Proposal – Aaron Hunger, Instructor of Criminal Justice at Remington College & Ph.D. at UH of Manoa
No public testimony will be accepted.