FRIDAY, FEBRUARY 19, 2016 @ 3 PM IN Room 325
COMMITTEE ON JUDICIARY
Rep. Karl Rhoads, Chair
Rep. Joy San Buenaventura, Vice Chair
Friday, February 19, 2016
STRONG SUPPORT for HB 2773 – VOTING RIGHTS for INCARACERATED PERSONS
HB 2773 VOTING RIGHTS FOR INCARCERATED PERSONS
Repeals statutory provisions that disenfranchise incarcerated persons. Provides for the determination of residency of and delivery of ballots to incarcerated persons. ING
CAP Position: STRONG SUPPORT
CAP Testimony: 2.19.16 JUD Test in STRONG SUPPORT HB 2773
- Voting rights engage imprisoned members of our community in what is happening in the community;
- Voting is a fundamental right of democracy and we should engage all citizens in civic affairs
- Voting rights help folks inside focus on the world outside so that they still feel connected, despite their isolation.
- Voting rights help people reintegrate back to their communities knowing what is going on there.
- Voting rights lead to good citizenship and an informed citizenry.
A vibrant democracy demands participation!