Where Will A New Oahu Community Correctional Center Be Built?
Eleven sites are under consideration, the Hawaii Department of Pubic Safety announced Monday.
Richard Wiens, Civil Beat, November 21, 2016
“Eleven potential sites for a new Oahu Community Correctional Center were identified Monday by the Hawaii Department of Public Safety.
“The sites will be “further reviewed against common criteria to produce a short list” that will go through the environmental impact statement process, the department said in a press release.”
“The possible locations include:
- The current site in Kalihi.
- Near the site of the Halawa Correction Facility.
- Near the site of the animal quarantine facility in Aiea.
- Two sites in Kalaeloa off of San Jacinto Street.
- A Kalaeloa site off of Saratoga Street.
- A Kalaeloa site off of Roosevelt Avenue.
- A Kalaeloa site off of Coral Sea Road near the Barbers Point Riding Club.
- A site near the Mililani Technology Park.
- Two sites in Waiawa near the H-2 freeway”
The comments on the skimpy 15-page Environmental Impact Statement Preparation Notice must be postmarked today, November 22nd. It is fifteen pages of spin with little to no information showing that this project – THE LARGEST PUBLIC WORKS PROJECT IN THE STATE – is being fast-tracked with obviously little to no due diligence performed. Now, the day before the comments are due, the state releases 11 potential sites? How absolutely disingenuous, or sneaky, or incompetent can they get? What are they doing …playing PIN THE TAIL ON THE JAIL?