keep corporate prisons out of hawai`i!
This BAD BILL is being heard in the House Public Safety Committee on Thursday, Feb. 9, 2017
HB 462 CORRECTIONAL FACILITIES
Requires the department of public safety to solicit proposals for a new correctional facility at Waiawa Correctional Facility.TAKAYAMA, CREAGAN, DECOITE, EVANS, LOPRESTI, MIZUNO, THIELEN
THIS IS THE WORST BILL OF THE SESSION!
This is another proposal with absolutely no forethought, no planning, no analysis. The current OCCC process has been and continues to be an abject failure and they now want more money to plan for more and bigger facilities despite crime at the lowest level in decades! Why do we continue to do corrections the 19th century way? This bill ignores Hawai`i data and continues bilking the taxpayers for a failed system. It again is a top-down approach that ices out the community from any discussion. What is wrong with these folks?!
This is what the bill proposes to do:
- Requires DPS to solicit proposal for a 3,000-bed prison at Waiawa (for folks from Halawa, Arizona and Waiawa)
- Relocate OCCC to Halawa (after the above is built)
- Allows DPS to enter into public-private partnership for planning, design, and construction
- Allows DPS to enter into a lease-option contact with any private owner of the new correctional facility at Waiawa
THIS OPENS THE DOOR TO CORPORATE OWNED PRISONS IN HAWAI`I.
CAP POSITION: STRONG OPPOSITION
- The current OCCC process has left the community and the HCR 85 Legislatively-appointed Task Force out of the discussion of what we should do about overcrowded facilities
- We should NEVER let corporate prisons come to Hawai`i. There are plenty of horror stories about how these unethical companies have left jurisdictions bankrupt with broken facilities after they get their “end of lease balloon payments.”
- Putting OCCC at Halawa where public transportation is 2 miles from the gate is nothing short of inhumane to families who try to visit their loved ones
- Requiring DPS to solicit bids, when the current process is a mess, is irresponsible and unconscionable.